Case Information
Attorneys & Press
Temporary Judges
Representing Yourself
Fee Schedules
Pay Traffic Fines Online
Tentative Rulings
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Family Court Services
Small Claims
Online Document Help
General Information
Court Reporter Information
Interpreter Services
Court Holidays
Useful Links
Browsing in Interpreter Services

Interpreter Services

Interpreter Services Court Location

1100 Van Ness Avenue
Fresno, CA 93724-0002

Telephone: (559) 457-4910
Email: InterpreterRequest@fresno.courts.ca.gov
Hours: Monday-Friday: 8AM - 4PM

Service Not Available in My Language (LA-400)

Fresno Superior Court has expanded access to interpreter services.

Interpreter Services Are Available For All Mandatory Case Types Listed Below
  • Criminal
  • Traffic
  • Juvenile Delinquency/Dependency
  • Mental Competency Hearings with Appointed Counsel

NOTE: These interpreters do not help parties fill out or file their court forms.

Interpreter Services Are Available In The Priority Order Of Case Types Listed Below
  1. Protective order sought in family law domestic violence cases, in elder or dependent adult physical abuse or neglect cases, or in civil harassment cases.
  2. Unlawful detainers
  3. Termination of parental rights
  4. Conservatorship or guardianship
  5. Actions by a parent to obtain sole legal or physical custody of a child or visitation
  6. Elder/dependent adult abuse cases NOT involving physical abuse or neglect, or all other civil harassment proceedings.
  7. All other family law (i.e., family law cases not involving domestic violence, sole legal or physical custody, or visitation).
  8. All other civil cases (based on availability of interpreters)

Contact the Interpreter Coordinator at 559-457-4910 for additional information

NOTE: These interpreters do not help parties fill out or file their court forms.

Back to Top Back to Top

How can I get an interpreter assigned for my court case?

If you are involved in one of the case types listed above, you may ask the clerk at the counter or in the courtroom for an interpreter. You may also ask for an interpreter using the PNT-01(S) Interpreter Request Form (English / Spanish) at any of our Clerk’s Offices, or fill out and email this form online using the email address found on the form. It is important to notify the court as soon as possible if an interpreter is needed. If you wait until your court date, you may have to wait until an interpreter can be contacted. If an interpreter is not available at the time of your hearing, your case may be continued until an interpreter can be assigned.

What if I need an interpreter, but the court does not provide one?

The court will not provide you with an interpreter except in the case types listed above. If you need an interpreter to help you understand what is said during one of these court proceedings, you must bring a certified, registered or provisionally qualified interpreter to interpret for you. You may not bring anyone under the age of 18 to interpret for you.  For a list of qualified interpreters, please check the Judicial Council website “Search for an Interpreter

What if I need a sign language interpreter?

The court will provide you with a sign language interpreter for any court hearing you may have. The court will also provide you with a sign language interpreter if you are called for jury duty. Please tell a clerk at the counter or in the courtroom as soon as possible if you will need a sign language interpreter. For more information on this and other Access and Accommodation needs please visit the American with Disabilities (ADA) page on this site.

Are you interested in becoming a Court Interpreter?

Due to the limited resources of certified/registered interpreters statewide, the court may sometimes provide a provisionally qualified interpreter (non-certified, non-registered for the mandated areas listed above). As a court interpreter, you will play a key role in our trial courts by interpreting for defendants, litigants and witnesses thereby helping to insure access to the Limited English Proficiency (LEP) customers. For more information on how to become a court interpreter please visit the Judicial Council website, Interpreter Program.  Or contact the Interpreter Coordinator at 559-457-4910.

Are there any other language services you provide to Limited English Proficiency court users?

The Fresno Superior Court understands that without proper language assistance, Limited English Proficiency (LEP) court users may be excluded from meaningful participation in the judicial process.  The Courts are always searching for new solutions for these issues including more efficient use of existing resources to help improve and expand language access around the state.  To get more information on efficiencies that Fresno Superior Court has implemented to enhance language access for all LEP court users you may read our Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Plan.

For information on the Judicial Council, “Strategic Plan for Language Access in the California Courts”.

Back to Top Back to Top